View Single Post
Old April 26th, 2010, 07:06 AM   #33
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Though I seriously doubt it would be a viable offering, I'd like to see a true pocket sportbike, which the Ninjette is not.

600s are called "middleweights." Why not a "lightweight?"

It wouldn't compete against anything currently on the market. It'd be a new category that would establish a parallel upgrade path.

If you clearly differentiate the 400 from the 650R it taps into a new audience. The rationale would be this:

250r - Beginner/basic commuter bike for those who want upright, "standard" ergos

400r - Sportbike ergos (which a lot of us are doing anyway via the aftermarket), performance-oriented spec similar to ZX6R but maybe a notch or two below. Compact size and light weight to differentiate it... a sportbike for those not tall enough for a supersport, or who want supersport handling and equipment but don't really want 100+hp. A step-up for 250R owners who don't want to make the big jump to a ZX6R. Power about where the 500 is now, right in between the 250R and the 650R... obtained through a higher state of tune/higher RPM. This bike could be the basis of a new spec racing class.

650r - Same mission as the 250R - it's a standard with fairings. Step-up bike for those not into supersports, first bike/commuter for those of larger stature or those who buy the "650 is a starter bike" jive.

ZX6R - Full on supersport... a clear notch above the 400R.

I think the size thing and the sportbike thing both have some potential. If you want to see an unanswered market demand, look at the aftermarket. Every sportbike out there has multiple lowering kits available for it because a lot of us who like these bikes simply don't fit on them. Bikes with standard ergos have clip-ons and rearsets available. People WANT things that the manufacturers are not producing.

I don't think it would fly because most consumers are simply not informed enough or realistic enough to understand that such a bike might be perfect for them. Every other squid on the block has a 600, so they need a 600 too.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote