Thread: Dino vs synth
View Single Post
Old April 28th, 2010, 08:04 PM   #17
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

If this is for the FZ...and the FZ sits a lot...i'd recommend sticking with a high quality, full synth oil. Back in my rx-7 days i used to do all kinds of research on oil, base stocks, etc. The higher end, "true" full synthetic oils (ie: amsoil, motul, etc) are comprised almost entirely of group 4 base stock oils....which are artifically made. This is opposed to regular dino oils, which are, at most, group 3 base stock oils, which are derived from natural crude oil. Now the group 3 oils, being a more naturally derived oil, will break down faster with heat, wear etc. This is something we all know. However, on top of that is the fact that they break down faster over time as well. Dino oils, once they get used in an engine, will begin to break down and become acidic faster than a full synth, even if left to sit. I do believe this is where the recommended "change your oil every 3000 miles or every 3-4 months" thing came from. A full synth, being comprised almost entirely of man-made artificial oils and compounds, doesn't have such a shelf-life....in terms of time anyway. They'll resist wear and acidity better overall, but it's still a good idea to change it out regularly with normal operation.

Now, the info above was researched and "discovered" by myself about 5-6 years ago....so I'm not sure how accurate this is still. Take it with a grain of salt
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote