View Single Post
Old April 29th, 2010, 09:32 PM   #5
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja250 View Post
I'm not positive, I need to look again.. but I think the FSM noted to replace the rotors if they get thinner than 4mm.

Don't quote me I'm going to double check that right now.

edit:
replace front rotor at 4.0mm thick at thinnest spot (0.16")
replace rear rotor at 4.5mm thick at thinnest spot (0.18")
If the disk can wobble (left to right) more than .3mm (0.01") than it needs to be replaced as well.

You can likely expect the rotor to wear much faster with upgraded pads. If you are stopping better, the friction is going somewhere..
Probably not. It takes the same amount of force from forward momentum applied to the rotor and dissipated as friction/heat, just over less rotational distance. Being able to brake better often translates into pushing things farther so that the user may go faster and brake harder and later, so you still might end up wearing it out faster, but that's all in the user's behavior. Also, higher surface temps are generated when the same force is applied over less distance so heat may make a difference in wear also, but I wouldn't say that it's enough under the same conditions to say that the rotors will wear any faster.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote