View Single Post
Old May 11th, 2010, 02:19 PM   #7
2WheelGuy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Craig

Motorcycle(s): '98 EX250, '02 EX250, '08 250r, '03 SV650, '98 GSXR750 '03 Hayabusa, '87 YSR50, '84 ZX900, +MORE

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorizonXP View Post
Yeah, but should this happen with good frame sliders that are designed to break off? Those look like no-cuts that don't mount anywhere sturdy. Take the Shoguns for the 250. They mount over the engine frame bolts, and the delrin plastic WILL break at high speed. I dunno, I still think frame sliders are a good idea for the majority of cases. You said that your experience is at the track. That means the sampling of crashes you witness are going to be worst-case scenarios, at high-speed. It doesn't prove that frame sliders are useless, just that they have their limits.
As I stated good sliders can work at speeds up to around 10 mph. You are correct that track crashes are at higher speeds. The majority of track crashed occur in the 30-80 mph range. What speeds do you spend most of your time riding at?

Here are photos of another bike. This one was a too much brake, front end tuck going into Turn 1 at Thunderhill. I would guess that the bike was traveling at 80-90 mph when it hit the ground. The bike laid down and slid on its side for 30-40 yards before it left the pavement and slid into the dirt. The bike was in one piece when it left the track, but started flipping once it hit the dirt. I can't say for certain that the frame sliders were responsible for the flipping but our statics (yes we keep crash statistics) show that bike with frame sliders are 3 times more likely to flip in a crash. Yup the frame sliders did break off, how does that protect the bike?

AFM #278
2WheelGuy is offline   Reply With Quote