View Single Post
Old May 17th, 2010, 09:30 AM   #1
fsilva_mcl
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Francis

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r 2005 Suzuki GS500F (Written Off)

New Brake Problems (Excessive Lever Travel)

So my OEM front brakes were about to hit the dirt so I decided to change them up with the equivalent EBC HH pad. I've read varying reviews on it and from the most part seemed like a solid choice.

Changing the brakes were a snap as I do it all the time on my car and vans. However this is where the problems start. So initial bite was almost like night and day from the OEMs. When you start to pull on the brake the EBCs didn't feel like they started kicking in until much later and there is increased lever travel almost to the point where the lever comes all the way back to the handle bars. So I bled the brakes and I still have these problems. However the bike does stop fine and the brakes work, they just dont feel as strong and the excessive lever travel is worrying.

Anyways my question is, since I don't think it is normal for the lever to have to travel all the way back to the handle bars when performing a stop, is there anything I can do to decrease lever travel?

Some points to add:

1. I also changed my rear brakes to the EBC HH and they feel infinitely times better than OEM and exhibit none of the problems the front brake does.

2. Can this have anything to do with bedding in. I researched how to bed in EBC brakes and got varying answers so I basically followed a pretty general approach. Doing 8 progressively harder stops from higher speeds without stopping, rode for 15 minutes to ensure the brakes were cooled down and then performed another set of 8 progressively harder stops.

3. If worst comes to worst I will take the bike in as I know brakes are important, so please don't post to tell me brakes are important and if I don't know what I'm doing I should take it in, because I'm pretty technically savvy and have been doing brake jobs and other car work for a while.

Thanks in advance for the help!
fsilva_mcl is offline   Reply With Quote