View Single Post
Old June 1st, 2010, 11:01 AM   #33
FrugalNinja250
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
LA is one of the only places in the US that has those markings, CZ. Almost everywhere else, riders & drivers can get out of the way of a crazed tailgater just by, well, getting out of the way. If I was blocked in by barriers on both sides as well, it would be a pulse-quickening experience, I'm sure.

But if it's only markings on the road and we're choosing between an (unlikely) ticket and a SUV enema, I'll get myself out of the way every time. I read over and over again on this board and others about how people are annoyed with how others drive around them on the road (too fast, too slow, too close, not close enough). All of those observations are spot-on, and likely completely correct from the point of view of the rider. But what seems to take awhile to sink in is that none of that matters. We can't affect the actions of others on the road. No matter how we behave, how we ride, how we want to, other people on the road are going to continue to behave in ways that we don't want, right up until the end of our days. Once we realize that, it becomes that much easier to choose the path of most expediency. What keeps me the safest, what minimizes the risk, what de-escalates the situation, etc.

Tailgater that doesn't back down with a gentle wave? Get out of the way. Why chance anything else?
Here in the Dallas/Fort Worth area our HOV lanes also have markings preventing legal lane changes except in designated areas, and some actually have a physical barrier. My government professor, a former lawyer, said that crossing those markings will earn you a ticket, even if the reason you cross them is because a police officer is pulling you over or if you're getting out of the way of an emergency vehicle. She defended several tickets like that, unsuccessfully.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote