View Single Post
Old June 30th, 2010, 07:40 PM   #10
kkim

God... I cringe/hate it when I read another newbie post looking for the loudest exhaust available for the 250 cause "loud pipes saves lives."

If only they knew the damage they are doing to a sport they just recently became involved in. Even other motorcyclists (AMA) know that loud pipes lead to higher restrictions/laws/biases/stereotyping against motorcyclists. Everyone wants to play "racer dude" on the street... how about going to real track to play racer dude, instead?

Back in the 60s/70s, all offroad dirtbikes came with no muffler or if they did, it was a token one from the manufacturer. We all rode our 2 stroke racing bikes in the back woods and fields around the town in which I grew up. Guess what, that was happening all over the nation as more and more people took up off road riding/racing.

Between the dust and obnoxiously loud two stroke expansion chambers, key people locally, and on a national level, worked to shut down riding areas. Police actually gave chase off road and the military was called in to track bikes by helicopter if you were on federal training grounds, riding.

Today, it is totally unacceptable to ride anywhere except designated motorcycle recreational parks. It's unheard of (no pun intended) for bikes not to have mufflers.

What I'm getting at is this has all taken place before... people with legislative power fighting to change laws to shut the few that make the most noise with their bikes, back under control. The big losers, of course, will be all motorcyclists.

Once Khalifonia falls, they other states will follow suit.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote