View Single Post
Old July 28th, 2010, 08:38 AM   #49
spooph
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Spooph

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

MOTM - Oct '15
I'll make you a video.... and no worries, no hard feelings from my side...

Edit:
AH, I now understand. I've realized where we're splitting hairs. Code defines "steering" as accurately, precisely and concisely being able to change the bike's direction, at speed. He did not write this, or state it outright, but that seems to be jist of the article. For all intensive purposes, I agree, for that is necessary to survive and enjoy a moto....

However, when I hear the statement: "A moto can not be steered using simply body lean", stated as an absolute, I hear: "The bike will not, under any circumstances, change direction, what-so-ever, in any manner, and will simply continue to go in an absolute straight line".

Pardon my miss-interpretation of the statement. I know, and can still make the video if somebody so desires, that one can change the course of a bike by simply leaning, pushing on the pegs, etc. However, I also know it's extremely ineffective, and that the ONLY way to precisely inititiate and maintain a corner is to use the handlebars (throttle plays in as well), by countersteering.

So, I put it on a spectrum. On one side is the "Guiding, hearding, changing the general direction of a motorcycle", and on the opposite end is the "Full lean, hauling balls around a race track, flicking the bike back and forth". I would say anything just shy of the "guiding" side, all the way to the "full lean" requires more and more control on the handlebars, for as speed increases, the amount of pressure on the handlebars increases, and obviously to switch the bike from side to side requires some effort, pushing in the opposite direction.

How does this apply to one-handed riding?

The same principles apply, obviously, expect it's only being executed by one hand. If riding with the right hand, one would have to push on the bars to go right, and pull to go left, and indeed, it would be impossible to steer the bike accurately, and especially at speed simply relying on body position/ pressure on the pegs. However, is it impossible to guide the moto, even at speed, using simply body position/pressure. I say No, simply because I've done it. Even Code admits it's possible, but that it's simply ineffective (turning the bike like a oil tanker).

So, again, pardon the long reply, and the mis communication, but I think I've got it straight now.

My therapist has 2 wheels and a seat.
If you are ever in doubt to my tone, please refer to my avatar.
spooph is offline   Reply With Quote