Old August 8th, 2010, 09:56 AM   #27
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost40 View Post
ok lol the manual say never clutchless upshift on every bike. Thats how they get you into the shop for a new clutch. The manual says not to exceed 4000 rpms during break-in for the first 500 miles and 6000 for the next 500. Did you follow that advice too? How about the zinger that says you can go 600 miles on your original oil with all those metal shavings floating around in the engine and gear box?? How about going 7500 miles before you check your air filter? Sounds like great advice to me. NOT. ALL Japanes sport bike are designed to be clutchless upshifted. They are not designed to be clutchless on the downshift. Yes you can do it in a pinch. Hell ive done it once or twice. If you want your transmission to live a good full life I wouldnt recomend it.
Kevin, I thought you did track days. I have only used the clutch to upshift (on the track) during a slow warm up lap. I never use the clutch during hard acceleration (which is very rare).

How does not using the clutch (clutchless shifting) result in needing a new clutch. I can see transmission problems (shift forks, gear teeth) when clutchless shifting but I have never have a clutch failure in 28 years of full throttle clutchless upshifting.