View Single Post
Old January 25th, 2009, 09:07 PM   #26
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreezMunky View Post
If I contact her insurance and give them the price the dealership gives me can I -
1 - not involve my insurance company and just have them (her insurance) pay the dealership
2 - offer to have them pay just for a new exhaust (aftermarket) which would be cheaper than factory (what the dealership quoted)
Couple ways this could go. For something of this relatively low dollar damage, it may make sense for the woman to pay you out of pocket rather than go through her insurance (and raise her premiums). If that's the case, anything you negotiate with her is completely fair game. If you want her to mow your lawn for 6 months, 4 free backrubs, and a AreaP full system, and she agrees to that, all is well.

If you go through her insurance company, it gets a little more restricted. The company will only pay what it determines to be your actual damages. So you will need to get a quote from a shop stating what it would cost to bring the bike back to pre-accident condition, you submit it to her insurance company, they bicker with you about the cost, and in the end they cut a check. You should be able to get them to cut a check to you instead of the shop, though, then you can use that amount of money however you see fit. Gambling, booze, DVD's, or fixing the bike. As people have mentioned, it may be cheaper to in fact replace the stock exhaust with an aftermarket unit that will look better, sound better, and even perform better for less cost than the OEM muffler alone.

Be prepared for this to be a bit of a hassle. If you're patient and diligent, you'll likely end up a little ahead of the game financially.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote