View Single Post
Old September 7th, 2010, 06:26 AM   #32
Domagoj
ninjette.org guru

Name: Domagoj

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooph View Post
Paulette, you'll be surprised at what you'll learn about in-town riding after you start pushing the bike heavily in the canyons and on the track.

Definitely get the bike broken in though before you go up to the canyons. You don't want the rev limit hanging over your head while you're trying to think of everything else as well..

I bought my bike new, and broke it in proper over the course of 2 weeks, commuting to work and such. When I took it to red-line the first time, I realized what the 250 was all about. Just yesterday, on a back road on my way home from work there's 2 corners, both with speed warning "suggestion" signs - 25mph... I took them comfortably at 65mph. 90 degree right hand turns, if they're clean and smooth, should be an easy 30mph thing.

I'm not saying this to impress anybody, and when stacked up against a racer, they're nothing to write home about, just thought I'd provide you with some quantitative answers to compare to.

I would also recommend you go to a parking lot, and do some "high-speed" circles, until you have your chicken strips completely erased. 35-40mph, not leaning off the bike, scraping pegs on either side will really prepare you for the canyons well.... Once you're comfortable with circles, figure eights are a good way to go as well. I do these exercises maybe once every 2 months, as a bench mark of where I was, and where I want to be.
I think that parking lots are great place to practice. You have enough room to try almost anything and dont have the traffic to be bothered with. Even if you slip, you will most likely just slide on the asphalt and scratch the bike and your clothes. And thats much better then hitting a wall or falling off a cliff. Its even fun in some crazy way
If you are afraid of leaning in, maybe you are holding on to the bike with your hands too tight, and are too stiff on your seat. Just relax, and use your body to tell the bike where to go. Keep relaxed, and speed and lean angle will come in time. Surprisingly quickly probably. Good luck!
Domagoj is offline   Reply With Quote