View Single Post
Old January 27th, 2009, 03:23 PM   #17
Sailariel
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Oscar, This is hard to believe but there is very little ice in our harbour. I leave my boat in year round because it is too much of a pain to take the spar out, hire a hauler to haul it, etc. I take it from my summer mooring and tie to a floating dock system, plug in, and set the thermostat at 45F. The boat is 38` long and weighs 10 Tons. It is much better off in its natural environment. Our tides here run 12 to 13 feet, so any ice that forms breaks apart. In the spring, I hang some tyres in burlap bags from the deck around the boat while the Ice from up river goes out with the tide. It is really just a precaution in case something big breaks loose. The boat has been in the water since 1991. In the summer I bring the boat alongside a wooden pier and let the tide go out. I then pressure wash the bottom, apply anti-fouling paint where needed and repaint the waterline stripe. We can usually do this in two tide cycles. The guys are still fishing. Fresh scallops are plentiful, as are lobsters. When I go down to the harbour to check the lines and check to see that the heat is on, there is usually a fisherman around more than willing to sell me some of his catch. It`s a different life here. The people are down to earth hard working honest folk. Life is simple and uncomplicated. Really,since I had my bout with cancer in 2004, I appreciate life so much more. People are important and I feel I have made many friends on this forum even though it is an electronic medium. This forum sometimes gets a little tacky, but compared to the other one.... We do have some good chaps here, and the information available is a virtual bonanza. Do keep posting. We can all benefit from your knowledge--even if you portray yourself as a bit of a rogue. That`s OK, I get cast as a bit too profesorial. Incidentally, Our boat has logged 80,000 nautical miles. From 1991 to 2004 we sailed our boat from Maine to the Caribbean wintering in the Bahamas, Turks and Caicos, The DR, etc. We have only been doing winters since 2004 when we bought a house and a cage. Prior to that, the boat was our full time home and our address was a P.O. Box in Maine. Our only land transportation was a pair of DAHON stainless steel folding bikes. Life is good.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote