View Single Post
Old September 23rd, 2010, 06:34 AM   #23
patw
ninjette.org guru

Name: Pat

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd View Post
I haven't watched this in a looong time but there is a much easier way to maintain your chain after you clean it.
And don't forget, WD-40 is OK for CLEANING, but not for LUBRICATION of a chain. It leaves a sticky residue and won't last very long. Thar stuff is better for loosening rusty bolts or stuck cables, then you have to lube with something else.

Use Dupont Teflon spray lube, blue can, avail. at Walmart, Lowes, Home Dept, Ace Hardware, etc, etc. Spray it on the chain with the straw. Is is clean, no mess, does not attract dirt or have dirt stick to it, no greasy messy cleanup each time. A can is about $8-9, will last for a year or more if you spritz the chain once a month or so.
I have been using it for a few years on two different bikes, many others on numerous other bike websites also recommend it, and all I can say is that it works great and is very clean and easy to apply and the chain lasts as long as any other greasy oily stuff you put on, maybe longer because there's no grit or dirt buildup in the grease that most people use on the chain.
It makes your life a whole lot easier instead of into a difficult dirty chore that tends to get ignored. Try it, you'll like it.

My bottle of Chain Wax is almost out, I'll try out the Teflon based one. It sounds like it's cheaper than the stuff I'm using anyways.