View Single Post
Old October 1st, 2010, 09:21 AM   #54
spooph
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Spooph

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

MOTM - Oct '15
thx Monkey!

Havok, being that we're dealing with ratios, the higher up the revs are, the bigger the difference in RPM's between gears. I'm also running 15/44 gearing, so there's a bit bigger difference between the gears than on a stock bike.... To rev-match, I just listen. Experience has taught me how high to rev to match. For instance, at 40mph to downshift from 6th to 5th, there is no reason to blip, but at that same speed, going from 3rd to 2nd is a big blip, I think 2.5K change on my bike... and going to 1st in 40mph would go past red-line....

and just letting the clutch out slowly between shifts is fine if you drive like a granny, but I prefer the shift to be done and over with ASAP (milliseconds). The more time I spend shifting, the less time I have power to the wheel.... I've just kind of gotten use to it, and it's the way I ride.

I agree with Fader, and whoever else said this, there is no absolute right way to do this. It's more about, if you want to shift as quickly as possible, here is one technique to get it done, reliably and consistently, without causing damage to the bike...

My therapist has 2 wheels and a seat.
If you are ever in doubt to my tone, please refer to my avatar.
spooph is offline   Reply With Quote