View Single Post
Old October 2nd, 2010, 06:12 PM   #1
FrugalNinja250
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Nothing special, 811 miles in one day

Did my long ride today, came off without a hitch, mostly. My planning was mostly for naught, at least WRT miles between stops, because my first leg gas mileage was only 45mpg and I had to switch to reserve at 168 mpg. Not fun, I was panicking a bit because I was on a fairly long stretch with no exits or fuel stations. I think it must have been a bad load of gas, because previous trips with the saddlebags had me averaging in the mid-50's.

Another problem was cold. It's been in the mid-50's in the mornings, quite bracing for the ride to work. However, after about 50 miles hypothermia was starting to set in because I didn't think to put the liner in my mesh/textile jacket. I also didn't have the winter gloves. After another 80 miles I was getting to be pretty miserable and the sun hadn't even come up yet. I was actively looking for a WalMart to buy some long-sleeve shirts to put under my jacket, then stupid me I remembered I had a really nice rain jacket in my luggage. I put that on and it made the cold tolerable enough for the morning part of the ride.

Anyhow, was able to pull off 824 miles in 13 hours flat, with half a dozen brief rest stops and five fuel stops. The Corbin I got in Friday made all the difference in the world, lowering the pain level from 9 (where 10 is "Oh God, oh God, please, kill me now!") down to about a 4. Still somewhat painful but very tolerable. My longest break out of the saddle was maybe 20 minutes, most stops were in the 10-15 range. Average pace including stops was 62.4 mph, pace while moving was around 71. I spent long stretches with the speedo sitting on 85-90 indicated, 81-86 actual.

I did use up half a quart of oil on one 150 mile leg because I didn't realize I wasn't in 6th. The other legs I consumed just a trace amount of oil.

This is my first long trip, well, longer than 234 miles anyway. I started riding eighteen months ago so all things considered I'm satisfied. Now to enjoy some vacation time before getting ready for the ride home.

Last futzed with by FrugalNinja250; November 1st, 2010 at 07:21 AM. Reason: Accurate mileage after finishing my logs
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote