View Single Post
Old January 31st, 2009, 08:19 PM   #10
kazam58
Sarcasm: Yea that'll work

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Neither of these statements are true. The only thing that is guaranteed with a sprocket swap for one with a taller gear (larger front and/or smaller rear) is that for a given road speed, engine revs will be lower.
Then shouldn't this give better mileage? If you are traveling at a constant speed with 1K less revs then your mileage should be better in theory. I realize that if you're cruising at 5K then it's hard to go down to 4K because of the lack of power on the bike. But when you're talking the difference between 9K and 8K then the power becomes irrelevant and you can use less throttle (and so fuel) to go the same speed. Or am I missing something completely? yes, i did read your explanation in the middle, and it makes sense, but only if you're in a situation where there is a pretty big difference of power between that 1K of engine rpms
Also, for the top speed thing, I realize I should have inserted the word theoretically. A taller gear ratio theoretically gives you more top speed. Of course the ninjette can never reach redline at top speed to begin with, so it won't actually improve top speed.
I don't wish to argue, as you of course know more than I do, but if there is absolutely no gain (in any aspect) with a taller gear ratio, then why on earth would people swap sprockets? going down for the track makes sense so they can get the punch out of corners, but then why don't we all just gear down then if there's no difference in mileage?
Now I'd actually be interested if someone did a "before and after" for mileage and a sprocket swap.
kazam58 is offline   Reply With Quote