View Single Post
Old October 17th, 2010, 09:36 AM   #1
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

Name: J

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R

Zero Gravity Sport Touring Windscreen Ongoing Review.

Here is the ZG Page.
http://www.zerogravity-racing.com/sp...ptbks/281.html

It retails for $90, though you could probably find it around for that or less, with shipping. I bought mine in person through Cycle Gear (www.cyclegear.com), in a big order using my 15%-off MSF discount (a one-time discount you get with the MSF course card), so I paid like $83 or something for it.

When I first picked up the screen from CycleGear, I thought it looked a lot smaller than I thought it would. I was expecting more of a "bubble" shape, rather than just being longer. I even checked to make sure I didn't get the Double Bubble.

Just looking at it:
On the bike you can really tell the physical difference. It isn't in-your-face or anything, but it does subtly give it a more "sport touring" look (well, that makes sense I guesss...). I was worried it would look goofy and I would find myself eager to put the stocker back on as soon as it warmed up a bit in the spring, but it looks perfectly fine and intentional. I got the clear model because I ride at night just as much as during the day. Will post more pics later.

First ride today. Only probably 5 miles total, but with speeds ranging from 0-100mph (actual).

I am 6', but with the torso of your average person of mabe 5'8". So, if you are 5'8" with about a 30" endseam, you are probably about where I'm at height-wise (I have a 34" endseam in dress pants).

Sitting upright:
There was a little less wind hitting my chest, but I couldn't feel any difference in the wind hitting my neck. Air is possibly slightly quieter going around my helmet. Overall, only a marginal difference to me. I was worried in hotter weather it will keep air from blowing over me, but I don't think it will be a huge deal if I stay upright. I noticed this in the first half mile, and was actually a little disappointed. *edit* Thinking about it, I do have pretty long arms (6'2" wingspan) which would put my chest further away from the windscreen than most people, which would reduce the apparent effectiveness of the screen. So, keep that in mind that most people would probably be closer to the screen in the upright position than I am.

Resting my elbows on my knees (so I am kindof hunched over with my elbows bent at about 90 degrees--I often do this on the highway for comfort) :
Then, I moved to this position. Here there is a MUCH more noticable difference! No wind hitting my neck, and I didn't feel anything around my shoulders or the back of my neck either on the highway (60-80mph) or on city streets (30-50mph). This is the main reason I bought this shield: for protecting me from the cold. I think this will do a great job when riding in this position, which is quite comfortable anyways. There was still some wind noise in my helmet from the wind hitting the top of my helmet / visor and my helmet vents, but it was noticably quieter than when riding in this position behind the stock screen. My helmet is also loud in general, so that was also a nice relief. I have noticed the noise will start to get to me after a good 15 or 20 minutes of cruising on the highway even in this position, so this will be a pleasant change.

Lying on the tank:
HUGE difference! This was only a secondary concern when buying this screen, but I was amazed. When lying on the tank, even at 100mph (109 on my speedo), there was no wind noise at all. Before, I got about half wind noise and about half engine noise, when lying my chest against the tank and looking through the stock windscreen. Granted, it was a short trip so I might not remember with complete accuracy, but even if "no wind noise" was an exaggeration, there still could have been no more than 5% wind noise within the overall noise I was hearing. My first thought (well, second, compared to watching the road :P ) was that it sounded like I was riding on a dyno! Again, HUGE difference. I was also extremely pleased to see the ZG screen is as clear and optically correct as my helmet's visor, while the stock screen is a little cloudier and almost distractingly distorting.

The Double Bubble version might be a good in-between for those wanting a little more wind protection / reduction in turbulance, while keeping a sportier profile. Hell, it might be a good chunk as effective as the Sport Touring version. I have no idea. But to anyone who commutes and wants to reduce wind noise and turbulance I would whole-heartedly recommend this product if you don't mind losing a little bit of the sporty profile.

Here is the DIY install of the ZG Double Bubble, with many more pics:
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13507

Last futzed with by JMcDonald; October 17th, 2010 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Links and a couple of ZG pics.
JMcDonald is offline   Reply With Quote