Thread: Clutch Issues
View Single Post
Old October 20th, 2010, 05:06 AM   #25
n4mwd
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Ok, I think we got out of sync. The clutch lever shaft at the engine is not pulled out of the housing and sits flush against it (just like in the photo above). What I mean by "up" is that it does not naturally rotate all the way back down (towards the ground) to pull the cable and retract the handlebar lever all the way to its normal stopping point.

After studying the drawings and photos, I am pretty sure that the only cure for this is to add an external spring between the clutch lever at the engine and the frame to pull it the rest of the way. I really don't want to mess with the bike's innards any more than absolutely necessary.

It is also possible that part of my problem is that I am using the wrong kind of oil in it right now. I changed the oil about a week ago to standard 10w40 before I knew better. Turns out that the engine requires full synthetic. I'm not going to change it again at this time, but the next time will be full synthetic. This may also cure the lurching when I put the bike in 1st when the engine is cold.

That was a very good post by pupspeed. I really enjoyed reading it and looking at all the photos.

Thanks.
n4mwd is offline   Reply With Quote