View Single Post
Old November 14th, 2010, 12:38 PM   #21
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodadooda View Post
To be honest, I've yet to run into a situation where I would need to pop the clutch on my bike to start it. I'd be to afraid of dropping my bike over something like that, so if I didn't have a friend to help push me or a hill to roll down, my bike would sit there until I get a battery or I'd get it towed.
Why do you need a friend? I actually don't even see how they can help unless you needed a push uphill or something. Just sit on the bike and walk it to the closest hill, dip, or slight grade in neutral (don't just hold the clutch), make sure the ignition and kill switch are on, then coast down and then shift into first. Try to let it go early so you can ride your momentum in gear for a bit if needed then give it gas to drive off. Make sure you have the choke engaged if you plan on pulling in the clutch immediately. It's probably a good idea to use it regardless if you don't wanna push it back uphill for a second shot. The mistake in the video was from not sitting on the bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla35 View Post
I feel you... but you're supposed to do it in 2nd... and grab the clutch as soon as she fires up again. But the only reason I had to do this is because I had a cbr 600 F2 that I had to do this with because she had battery / carb issues.
Why second? It may be easier to turn but it's more likely to die on you right away and the extra turns in 1st are more likely to fire when you have limited distance or speed.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote