View Single Post
Old November 15th, 2010, 02:42 AM   #24
Godzilla35
ninjette.org member

Name: poop

Motorcycle(s): Nike Hyperdunks

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
Why do you need a friend? I actually don't even see how they can help unless you needed a push uphill or something. Just sit on the bike and walk it to the closest hill, dip, or slight grade in neutral (don't just hold the clutch), make sure the ignition and kill switch are on, then coast down and then shift into first. Try to let it go early so you can ride your momentum in gear for a bit if needed then give it gas to drive off. Make sure you have the choke engaged if you plan on pulling in the clutch immediately. It's probably a good idea to use it regardless if you don't wanna push it back uphill for a second shot. The mistake in the video was from not sitting on the bike.

Why second? It may be easier to turn but it's more likely to die on you right away and the extra turns in 1st are more likely to fire when you have limited distance or speed.
Yeah of course 1st is better and more likely to start it up, but for noobs like me who had a heavy F2 cbr 600 for my first bike, it was scary to drop the clutch to have the bike jump out in front of you. If his bike was running a min ago, I don't think he has THAT bad of a battery issue, but 2nd is a lot more forgiving if he lost it (not that it mattered here). I even offered to do it for him if he pushed me (i'm between short and average height)... and he was a pretty tall dude. Plus he was doing this in a parking lot when there was a longer / safer alley right next to us (?) No idea what was up with him to think that doing it in maybe a 200 ft long parking lot adjacent to one of the busiest streets in santa monica is beyond me.
Godzilla35 is offline   Reply With Quote