View Single Post
Old November 16th, 2010, 02:00 PM   #10
lognaturel
Rockin'

Name: Hélène

Motorcycle(s): Red 2009 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcDonald View Post
I do tend to favor rear brake in adverse road conditions just because of how quickly the front can slide out from under you.
Posted via Mobile Device
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
I don't have any experience braking on leaves but I imagine it can't be all that different from braking on gravel/tar snakes/metal plates. Downshift and use your engine braking to slow your speed and apply rear brakes.
Is that right? Unfortunately I have no idea whether the front or back slipped. It felt like the whole thing went out from under me. I was in 1st gear probably going 3mph.

I have to admit I'm still confused about braking. I understand that front brake does much more stopping than back. It seems surprisingly easy to lock up the back wheel (as discovered in emergency braking practice) so I'm shy about using back brake when I know I'm in a hazardous situation, though I use it in normal conditions. Is that all wrong? Several people on the recent emergency stopping thread also mentioned only using front to avoid back locking. But then again others mentioned front locking consistently.
lognaturel is offline   Reply With Quote