View Single Post
Old November 23rd, 2010, 08:02 AM   #18
FrugalNinja250
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild-bill View Post
40k for a Volt? That's outrageous. Last year I bought an '06 Grand Marquis for $12,500. I guess I'm not rich enough to buy a car like that. Gonna have to keep driving the gas guzzler 'cause I can afford that one But I'd rather have it that way anyway.
I paid $500 for my last car. Paying $12,500 for a car is just nuts! Hell, the most I ever paid for anything was when I put 20% down on my house so I wouldn't have to pay PMI. The depreciation hit on new cars of any kind is just too high. Buying something for $12,500 just to watch half that value drift away in the wind in two or three years is like investing in burritos...well, you get the idea.

Like he said, it's all relative. There's a market for quality EV vehicles at almost any price. The EV-1s were projected to cost over $40K in early 1990 dollars, close to $60K in today's dollars, and GM could have sold every single one they had made at that price. If the Volt fails it will be because of political stigmatization and the fact that the economy from 2001 to 2008 sustained the biggest amount of damage it's ever seen since the Great Depression, and in some ways worse.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote