View Single Post
Old November 26th, 2010, 12:26 PM   #126
U5er
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
not true. with the petcock in the "on" position and the bowls drained, the carbs won't refill until vacuum is applied to the fuel petcock which happens when the bike is started. In essence, it is "off".
Here is an explanation:
The Off setting is pretty self-explanatory -- it shuts off fuel from the tank to the carburetors, and is how you want to leave the bike if it's going to sit for a long time. On the Ninja 250, this is when the long side of the valve handle is pointing straight back.

Above was taken from another site. Not sure about forum rules so I only quoted the content and did not link it.

I live in Toronto, which does not differ from Siberia during winter. I bought my bike in June 2010 so I am only going to fill gas tank, drain bowls, place battery on tender, put plywood under the tires and put a blanket on it. I won't bother with the oil since the machine was barely used.

Question:
In light of the fuel petcock discussion. Setting it to OFF (according to the link) cuts off the supply from the tank to the carbs. Is this the way to go?
U5er is offline   Reply With Quote