View Single Post
Old December 15th, 2010, 01:35 PM   #33
Sailariel
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvninja View Post
I know a guy that is on unemployment. He says "Why would I work busting my ass to get a paycheck, when I can get a check for $500 a week and go to school for free"
That's clearly abusing the system--and, yes, there are some who do. In my view it is also a matter of perception. The abusers garner a lot of publicity--which creates the illusion that there are lots of these people. Kind of like the bad rep. motorcyclists have because of 1%. Or the illusion that motorcycles are incredibly dangerous because people get killed on them. I would be willing to bet that if statistically one set up an even playing field between cars and motorcycles, that motorcycles would score fewer accidents.

The same situation exists in entitlement programs. All of us know at least one abuser. How many of us know a person on welfare who is trying to better himself or herself. Going to school for a GED or an Associate Degree would most certainly make the person more marketable for employment. If you know an abuser, why have you not turned him or her in to the Fraud Unit? Is it easier to complain about it and play victim (The abused Taxpayer) Sounds like Wooden Leg to me (if you look at it in Transactional Analysis terms)

We are all part of a larger system that seeks to maintain a balance. That does not happen as long as we continue to see everything in terms of "We" and"They"

I highly recommend Michael Harrington's book, "The Other America" It's a fast read and a damn good book.