View Single Post
Old December 18th, 2010, 03:15 PM   #79
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcDonald View Post
The other day I decided to leave a few minutes early and hit a few of my favorite on / offramps on my way to work. One of them is a very quick s-curve (two inverted ~75-80* curves, with no strait section in between... aggressive exit speed is maybe 40-45mph). I guess I made it through the first part of the curve faster than I thought, because I think I came in a little fast for the second one. I didn't roll off the throttle in the second right-hander, but I didn't accelerate nearly as much as I have recently learned keeps the bike planted. Low and behold, the rear end started to step out. This wasn't out of the ordinary, so I stayed in it. However, it kept going and going, probably about 6" to the left as I made the turn. It happened really fast, but I am excited to report that I was able to semi-consciously look down the strait ahead (this was almost at the turn's exit) and stay on the gas! And, viola, she lined herself back up without any more fuss!

It was definitely a puckering experience. I remember that instant when the tire slipped beyond my current limit of comfort, and I thought "ah, well this is it, at least there isn't much around here for me to hit." But I guess I must have switched back to "fight" mode .

Anyways, I guess my point is this stuff works!
YAY!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou View Post
Had this happen to me last week. Johel and my self (both of us new riders) went riding this Friday to put the last break in miles on our bikes and decided to take some back roads (which are horrible in the Imperial Valley BTW). As we came into a S-turn i realized that it was much tighter than i had first thought and came in a little fast. By the time i realized how the turn was i was already initiating the lean. I felt my stomach drop and puckered her up while i said to my self "OH CRAP OH CRAP OH CRAP". My brain went into survival mode and remembered what i had read here on this same post a couple of days earlier lol. I leaned , throttled on the gas, looked throught the curve and out of my peripherals saw how i barely stayed on the yellow road line (gravel on the outside of it). We made it out fine, had to go home and change out my boxers though haha. Learned alot, dont panic, trust the bike.
YAY!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja3575 View Post
Ah.... I see the distinction now... and have to say that I'll be putting that into practice if ever I face a similar situation... Or maybe i'll just give it a go thanks Misti !
YAY!!!!

Glad you guys are all able to put some of this stuff into practice and that you are able to see the benefits and are noticing a difference! It pays to take a good hard look at your own riding and to work on improving aspects of it every day!

Sweet

Misti
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote