View Single Post
Old January 16th, 2011, 10:11 AM   #7
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

Name: J

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R

I have a jet kit and had messed with the needles some, but I want to say, IIRC, I didn't really get the most improvement in low-RPM response (like 1-3k RPM) until I played with the idle mixture screws.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10246

And yes, the first time I rode my bike with the taller gearing I was a little worried because I honestly didn't like how different it was off the line. I almost fell over once in a tight-radius right turn from a stop because I was expecting more acceleration for the same input as I was used to. However, over a short time I got used to it and began to enjoy it more and more, but it still didn't run all that well below about 15mph or ~4k RPM. However, adjusting the mixture screws and probably the needles as well made a huge difference and, like I said now it will pull smoothly from 1.5-2k. Hell, I sometimes leave it in 2nd gear if I am going through areas with multiple stopsigns, and it still pulls cleanly and smoothly from stops. My 2nd gear is exactly like stock 3rd gear, if that tells you anything. Of course it isn't very aggressive doing this, but it doesn't bog or lug and it keeps me from having to constantly shift up and down when Im hitting a stopsign every 1/8 mile.

Last futzed with by JMcDonald; January 16th, 2011 at 08:53 PM.
JMcDonald is offline   Reply With Quote