View Single Post
Old January 22nd, 2011, 10:47 PM   #11
Francis
ninjette.org newbie 2,000

Name: Francis

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilaniz View Post
I have an 08 r6 so I will chime in here.
I am never riding around the city in first gear,usually 3rd-4th and I shift quite often. I keep my rpm's in the range of 4-6k when I am cruising around town(redline is 16.5k) Could I cruise around town in first gear? yes but it would sound horrible since the rpms would be so high not to mention the throttle would be very sensitive at those rpm's, especially in first.

And yes the r6 is overkill for the city, not to mention the turning radius is HORRIBLE and it is very top heavy, its not really fun cruising around town on it. R6 is a horrible first bike, it is very twitchy/finicky, hard to explain unless you've rode one.

What do you mean by "top heavy"?

At first, I would shift to 2nd around 20 kph, so pretty much around 4k rpm. Right now I take it to about 6k.

I'm still trying to figure out which gears to use in certain situations. Lower gear means acceleration would be faster, right?

Speaking of shifting, I'm having a hard time downshifting. Whenever I downshift, the rpms seem to jump (as in...low noise then it becomes really loud when I downshift). Am I doing it wrong?

Even if the speed doesn't really change, it still seems like the rpms jump like crazy.
Francis is offline   Reply With Quote