View Single Post
Old February 5th, 2011, 07:33 AM   #28
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wayne

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Honda CBR250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalNinja250 View Post
Flashing the high beams (note, not leaving them on steady, but just flashing them) is the best (and only one that even works) attention grabber I've used. Drivers equate flashing lights with police, and drivers almost always see the police.
I don't agree with this idea at all. In my part of the country flashing your high beams means "go ahead". You may get the driver's attention doing that, but you're also going to confuse the hell out of him and make him more likely to do something stupid. And if he's visiting from my part of the country, he's very likely to pull right into your path even if he did see you and was prepared to wait.
The OP's mistake was assuming the other driver saw him and not anticipating that the other car might pull out at any moment. Even if you make eye contact it doesn't mean you're being seen. Most of the time they're looking right through you to the cars behind you. I always slow when I see a car is positioned to cross my path in any way. Just enough that if I am called on to avoid or brake, I can do so without incident. I'm not too keen on having to rely on panic stopping or high-speed swerving to save my ass and this method has proved it's worth numerous times already.
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote