View Single Post
Old February 5th, 2011, 03:25 PM   #38
headshrink
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

A little update, warning, and question for others....

First off, I am still loving my extenders (the other style, but same result). Yesterday I almost got into an accident, and it was MY fault. I got a little lazy and/or distracted in my own head, and did a drifting shoulder check. I didn't come out of my lane, but nearly swerved into a Civic that was in my left blind spot. The shoulder check would have caught him, or a closer look into my mirror (the convex spot), but like I said, I was sloppy and not paying close enough attention. Fortunately I did see him before crossing the line. He obviously saw what a noob I was being and quickly moved out of the way so I wouldn't be near him (score one for Civic defensive driving).

Here is a thought, and I'm wondering about others' experiences... I am wondering if the added visibility the extenders have provided has actually contributed to a bit of complacency. I am wondering if I have not been as careful in the degree and timing of shoulder checks, and also in overall situational awareness.... I know I have no excuse, but I want to understand the contributing factors, so I can be careful to remain vigilant, and not be another statistic. Of course the same thing could have happened before I got the extenders too; I can't claim to have never been distracted before them either. Does anyone else suspect your extenders have contributed to any over-confidence, laziness, etc.????
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote