View Single Post
Old February 5th, 2011, 07:20 PM   #47
afbarr
ninjette.org member

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250, 2009 Moto Guzzi V7 Classic (rip)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
no, just replace the main jets you have in there now.
Sorry I just realized where I read about drilling -- that was from the dynojet kit which says to drill out the fuel mixture screw plugs so you can set the underlying screws at 3 turns outs.

So I am a little confused -- it looks like there are 4 parts involved with the "main" jet:

(1) the "needle"
(2) the "needle jet" (small brass cylinder part that just slips over needle)
(3) the "needle jet holder" (sits on top of the needle jet and screws in to carb)
(4) the "main jet" (screws into needle jet holder)

Looking at the dynojet kit, for each carb, it has one needle and several main jets (94, 96, 98, 100). I.e, it supplies parts (1) and (4) above only [not parts (3) and (4)]. Well, that and some small clips and washers.

So my question is this: if I want to "build my own jet kit", does that mean I just need to buy a "needle" and "main jet" [parts (1) and (4) above] Or do I also need to buy parts (2) and (3). If so, why does dynojet not supply them. Judging from what supplied in the dynojet kit, it seems like the OEM parts (2) and (3) can be re-used for different size needles and main jets? But the dynojet kit came with one needle which can work with the 4 different main jets they supply (94-100). Why didn't it come with 4 needles instead of just one? Or why didn;t it just reuse the OEM needle?

Basically, if I pick up 110, 112 and 115 Keihin "main jets", do I need to buy a needle (or needles) as well? What about the "needle jet" [part (2) above] and "needle jet holder" [part (3) above]?

Apologies for my confusion.

Last futzed with by afbarr; February 5th, 2011 at 07:23 PM. Reason: clarifying
afbarr is offline   Reply With Quote