View Single Post
Old February 8th, 2011, 09:18 PM   #65
afbarr
ninjette.org member

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250, 2009 Moto Guzzi V7 Classic (rip)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
Aaron,

I can assure you, once you get the engine tuned properly, the money invested to do so will seem inconsequential. Yes, it may cost a few bucks to get to that point, but the knowledge and understanding you gain of what those little pieces do inside the carbs and how they improve the engine output is priceless.
So installed the dynojet needle last night. I am waiting on the Keihin main jets to arrive from jetsrus. Looking at the factory pro "how to tune a carb" page: http://www.factorypro.com/tech/carbtun.html, I see that the very FIRST step is to find the best main jet. Then SECOND step is to find the right needle height. BUT you have to select a needle height whether you want to or not in order to do the first step. So what needle height should you use to during the first step?

I assume you want the tip of the needle to be as far away from the main jet as possible?

When I installed the dynojet needle I think I did the opposite (I didn't think about this until today). I put the e-clip at the first notch at the top of the needle (the bluntest end of the needle opposite the main jet side). I also stacked the two washers on top of the needle assembly/diaphram (inside the white plastic spring cup).

Was I supposed to place the eclip as far down the needle (toward the pointy end) as possible? This makes sense to me but I just want to verify with the more carburetor tuning savvy folk here Do I use the washers at all when doing this?

Last futzed with by afbarr; February 8th, 2011 at 09:20 PM. Reason: typo
afbarr is offline   Reply With Quote