Thread: Arrested!
View Single Post
Old February 9th, 2011, 06:47 AM   #1
n4mwd
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Arrested!

This is old news, but I'm just now talking about it.

Last September I bought my Ninja, took the MSF course and got my motorcycle endorsement along with all the proper paperwork, gear and taxes. About a month later in October, a buddy and I were riding on a dirt road out in the woods when a surly game warden nearly ran us over with his 4 wheel drive pickup. He accused us of riding on a bicycle trail and trying to flee and evade a police officer. Then he charged us both with misdemeanors. This was the first time in my life that I have ever been arrested.

Now the fleeing and evading part was totally made up. Need I say again that I was on a Ninja. Its a really great street bike, but in soft dirt it really sucks. My max speed was about 10 mph. He was full of sPit. Neither one of us was running and my friend who was ahead of me actually turned around and came back.

As far as the bicycle trail stuff, we were on private property with the permission of the owner. It seems that the owner didn't know that the South Florida Water Control District had stolen their land. Now it seems that they are upset about it and a lawsuit may follow.

We were sent to court in the company of all sorts of hookers, drug dealers, wife beaters and other friendly folks. Fortunately the state attorney looked at the charges and promptly dropped them remarking "This is stupid." We never actually had a trial, but their was a lot of grief between point A and point B.

I checked the game warden's history and we were the only ones he has arrested for a misdemeanor in the 12 months that I checked. The interesting thing is that he has stopped other people out there and only gave them an infraction. One was a guy on an unlicensed ATV, drunk and firing a gun at targets. He got a $50 fine.

So there you have it. Unarmed, sober guy on motorcycle = arrest. Armed drunk not on motorcycle = ticket.

Just curious if anybody else has been harassed by the law for riding a motorcycle.
n4mwd is offline   Reply With Quote