gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Quote:
Originally Posted by harlumjp View Post
Ok so maybe I am naive and didn't know this already...BUT

I just found out from State Farm (my bike insurance) that in CA at least, if you go down on a bike they will not pay your medical costs (as they do in car crashes). I thought this was crazy but they said since the likelihood of getting hurt is so high, they won't cover those costs.

Something to think about if you don't have health insurance like me. But if you are hit by someone else (as in my case) and it was the other driver's fault, their insurance will be responsible for your medical expenses....
You need to change insurers. You'll want to look into buying "medical payments coverage" or "personal injury protection" (also called PIP) coverage, but it is not offered by all companies in all states. (California, because of the legal climate, makes it a more expensive place to offer PIP or Medpay coverage.) GEICO does offer it in California, as does Allstate and, my insurer, USAA.

As an aside, you should make sure that you haven't simply bought a liability policy to meet California minimum DMV requirements. Comprehensive coverage is something you probably want to consider for theft (and other bike damage) in addition to the PIP/medpay coverage.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote