View Single Post
Old February 20th, 2011, 01:27 AM   #13
Domagoj
ninjette.org guru

Name: Domagoj

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal78 View Post

It's as much as where you live, the amount of traffic on the surface and how well the surface was layed as to how much traction is available. I am always cautious on unknown roadways especially if the conditions are not ideal.
I can't say for the concrete, but in my opinion the quality and type of layer is the most important factor. I have been on "rough" and kind of porous asphalt roads where rain makes almost no difference at all (of course after a certain quantity of water it makes a difference). Then again there are many cases of asphalt where even a little bit of rain makes the road look like a mirror, and you can tell just by looking at the surface that there is not a lot of grip there.

Amount of traffic is also very important, as continuous rubbing of the surface polishes it and in time makes it more smooth and more slippy. There are a few two-lane highway ramps here which are an obvious example of it - cars prefer the right lane and left one is almost unused. After 2 years of rubbing the difference in roughness is easily visible. But on the other hand, the left lane is way more dirty, so it doesn't really matter in this particular case.

Dirt by itself is also important factor. This is easily visible on a bit wider twisty roads, where the line which most cars make is clean, and edges of the road are full of sand and dust and whatnot. This may be very important if you are trying to turn a bit later, as it puts your turn point in the dirty part of the road.

Last but not the least that I can remember are the lines on the road. Painted stripes showing middle and those big arrows on the road indicating that the lane is about to end and similar painted markings. Those are simply terrible in the wet.

All in all, the table is a nice general guidance.
Domagoj is offline   Reply With Quote