View Single Post
Old March 20th, 2011, 04:00 PM   #1
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Bike lacking power on commute today.

This is my regular commute and I have noticed that the bike has more power on some days and less on others, which I believed to be temperature-related, but it's never been this bad and it isn't even really that cold.

Basically, my commute is almost all freeway driving and I usually hit 80-90 indicated easily (I often see it indicate 100-107... SHHH!). This time I could barely go past 70. It took a long time, but I did get to 75 on a flat area and 80+ going downhill. I usually get a lot of speed in anticipation of a steep incline for the last leg of my commute but I just couldn't do it and my speed dropped into the 50s on a 65MPH stretch.

My handling also felt a little weird. Scary actually. It's a cool (not cold) windy day and it felt like I couldn't counteract the wind... as if my rear tire were flat and affecting my ability to lean. Maybe I imagined it, but it felt like I was sitting closer to the ground too! I think I need to check my rear shock when I get the chance (just arrived at work; still at my desk).

There will be rain on the commute home tonight and when I return in the morning (yes, I only get 8hrs off between these shifts), so that's really concerning me.

I have had a slow coolant leak that wasn't a problem last I checked (many months to reach the "low" mark and just filled back a week ago) and I'm way over-due for my valve check. So I can rule it out or in, what does an engine feel like after the valves are damaged or the coolant suddenly leaks out?
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote