Thread: Your First Mods
View Single Post
Old April 7th, 2011, 08:46 AM   #24
reaubideux
Perpetual Newb

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2010 MIB Ninja 250R [sold]; 2006 CBR600RR [sold]; 2013 Triumph Street Triple R

I'm still a newb too, have had my Ninja for a couple of weeks. Second day I had it I did the ol' Dremel fender eliminator (free). Yesterday, I stuck on some convex blind-spot stick-on mirrors ($3/pair). I have a ProGrip tank pad that should be arriving today ($6 off eBay, probably a knock-off ProGrip). I have Shogun frame sliders (free, early b-day gift from my parents ) sitting in my garage hopefully to be installed this weekend. I'm still waffling on shimming the needles while I'm installing the frame sliders. Just a bit nervous I'll screw something up but it's something I really want to do.

I still need to get some boots and overpants which will be in the next couple of weeks to round out my riding gear. After that, the only other "first mod" I want to get done is the no-cut tail light modulator.

Beyond that, any other mods will be a ways off - rear seat cowl, rear spools/stands, maybe HIDs. I don't really plan on doing too much with this bike since I honestly do see it as a learning bike before stepping up to a 600 in a few years. If I end up deciding to just keep the 250R and not move on to something bigger then I'd definitely look into an AreaP system. I plan on using most of my money on gear that I can use with any bike.

Quote:
gfloyd2002: 6. Spool Sliders. You'll want to buy a lift to put your bike up for maintenance. Not just for oil changes, but for chain lube you'll need to do every 400 miles or so. To do that, you need rear spools.
I'm only commenting on this since it was higher up on your list... I went to Home Depot and spent $5 on a pair of bolts to thread into the swing-arm and plan to just use those with an existing set of jackstands as a make-shift rear stand. Just wanted to throw that out there as cheaper alternative if you need to get only the rear wheel off the ground in immediate future (clean/lube chain, chain adjustment, etc.). I still plan on getting some T-Rex stands by winter time when the bike will be getting stored. Getting my riding gear is more important to me at this point so the stands will just have to wait.
reaubideux is offline   Reply With Quote