View Single Post
Old April 8th, 2011, 07:04 AM   #25
Reddoak
ninjette.org guru

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r - Traded for 2009 ER-6N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis937 View Post
Congratulations on the new bike ... I envy you. Yeah, like some of the other posters I've been an admirer of the ER6N ... Call me quirky ... but ... I think the bike is really nice looking (granted, different from the ninja 250) but beautiful in a ... hmmm ... quirky sort of way. At least people will do a double take of your bike. How do you like the "upright" riding position ... almost like a cruiser, I imagine. I'm very interested in your impressions of the bike and how it handles ... I don't know anyone who owns an ER ... I really like that there are not too many on the road. It's nice to be special, no? Ride safe ...

p.s. I'm also a short rider (only 5'4") ... I understand the 2010 or 2011 ER has a reduced seat height of 29 inches ... that helps.
Handling.... Hmmm.... Well, I know it feels like I could take a corner faster on the 250 at this point. The Er handles bumps better, the 250 seems a bit jumpy on rough roads. Odds are, I would enter at a higher speed on the 250, but exit it faster on the Er. The 250 felt a bit tighter, if you know what I mean. The Er is noticable heavier, but carries its additional bulk low enough that I was comfortable very quickly in a parking lot or driveway, so there's no problem there. The 250, being lighter, was quicker to flip from a left to right leaning position (or the other way) than the Er is.

As far as seat height, the 2009 I have is a little higher than the 250 was. At 5'7" I can just flat foot it with boots on. The bike is narrow. At 5'4" I suspect you would be one footing it at lights. The lower 2010+ might help. There are lowering links out there if not.

The position is a bit more upright than the 250, by not by loads. My wrists definitely like it better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtyndall View Post
Congrats on the new purchase, man. Sounds like you got a great deal. I personally prefer the 650R but for the steal-of-a-price I would've jumped on it too. What's next for ya?
If anyone asked what my next bike would be for the last three years, I would have probably said the 650R, as well. Seems like the logical next larger bike from the 250R. I've liked the ER-6N since they came out, however. And at the price? It was a no-brainer...

Next? Nothing for a while. This may sound stupid... but I may save up and buy a pre-gen 250 just to screw around with. They are stupid fun... In some ways I preferred the little Ninja. It was nice to open the throttle full bore, all the time.