View Single Post
Old April 8th, 2011, 09:58 PM   #10
play2pwn
Only the good die young

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2011 ninja 250r SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfloyd2002 View Post
Yes. Your bike likes a particular air/fuel mix. By adding an exhaust you are changing the air part of that ratio. My increasing the air flow, you will be making your bike more lean, and that is hard on an engine. To balance it out, you will need to change the fuel part of the ratio, too, or your bike won't run to its potential. You do that with shimming the needles, putting in new needles or changing the jets. With a slipon, you can probably just shim the needles since the change in airflow isn't that great.

Exhaust manufacturers that say you can run without changing your carbs are blowing exhaust up your *ss to keep you from getting intimidated. Either their exhaust doesn't do jack to your airflow (in which case, what is the point?) or it does. And if it does, you need to change fuel flow. And it shouldn't be intimidating - I was able to change needles and jets on my bike with zero experience thanks to some good DIYs on this forum and some great pics kkim posted on his breakdown process.

But that said, think twice before spending money on that slipon. Make sure you have a full set of gear first. Then think about riding stock for a couple thousand miles and getting used to the bike. After that if you want to upgrade, move to the full exhaust. Much better value and performance improvement can be found there. The slipon is a 1/4 measure at 3/4 of the cost.
thank you for clearing things up and as far as gear goes I already have my set of gear before I got my bike I've just waited to see the comparison between the cbr250r and the 250r.

the ninja wins by style and performance the only drawback its not FI.

I already talked to a friend he's gonna help shim the needles maybe next week
he just told me that he got 3 bikes in his garage so having this forum and his knowledge will result positively. =)
play2pwn is offline   Reply With Quote