View Single Post
Old April 16th, 2011, 09:05 AM   #45
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

I'm splitting this off as a new post and adding my idea about fixing the problem with the front-right sticking out:

Anyway, I thank you for your direct support for my issues. I love your products and just want to help you get the kinks worked out. In fact, I want to order a lot more from you (GP solo seat cowl, windscreen, integrated taillight, etc). Now we know that the huggers need some kind of inner brace before shipping (cardboard tube?) and that the instructions need to be updated to address the brake line holder removal. I think that the right mounting hole problem could be fixed by using a plastic rivet like the ones that hold the LH and RH lower fairings together on the bottom along with a much larger and lower hole in the L-bracket. Instructions indicating that the left hole may need to be widened anyway, as it appears that mine requires, would help so that people can check alignment before they screw it all down. It was the first thing I screwed in, so I had no idea that it was getting "forced" as I tightened down my adjuster nuts and screwed the rubber chain guide back down.

As for the cover flexing outward on the front-right, you know, I think I know why. The DVD case that I used to straighten the left must have also pushed the right out even though it did not have the thin connecting piece that the left had (the first part you would expect to flex/bend). I literally only left it like that for less than an hour before I noticed the cracks on the left side, so clearly that is where the majority of the bending took place (as intended), so I didn't consider that the right had moved much, especially when the left was still bent and needed to be "hung" overnight to straighten it. If I'm right, it shouldn't be a problem for most customers as long as it doesn't bend and deform during shipping like mine. As far as repairing it, if I could hold it down against the swingarm with something and apply heat, will it reform so that it lays flat against the swingarm or does fiberglass not really respond to heat like that? I have no idea if it "softens" with a little heat like plastic would. I don't have any way to plug in a heat gun when I'm near my bike (no garage; has to sit in a parking lot), and removing the swingarm to do this inside isn't an option either, so I'll have to figure out some other way. Please let me know if I should bother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomwalk101 View Post
That's why I love abs. No cracking
Would it be hard to finish in a way that doesn't look like the plastic that it is? I like that the Sportisi FG cover really does look like a metallic swingarm.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote