View Single Post
Old April 21st, 2011, 04:41 PM   #64
Jojah17
ninjette.org member

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Honja

Sorry to revive this DIY but I gots a question for y'all. I've got PODs and the Kleen air system removed from my bike (shop installed when I took in for an initial checkup/rundown). Finally decided to take a peek at this today and I've got a question. Instead of blocking off the hole in the cylinder head I've got a tube that runs back to another hole under the carb assembly ontop of the case (possibly the crank case vent-port right next to the VIN?). Is this a horrible idea? Should I remedy this ASAP? Am i going to blow myself up? Should I stop drinking so much? Thanks in advance!

Edit: Just went and looked...this is definitely whats going on.

Ninja Edit 2: stolen from another forum...sounds like its not a big deal:

"By tying the two hoses together air can't go anywhere. Hence the valves don't open (and air doesn't flow into the exhaust). Block off plates accomplish the exact same thing and like you said, it looks cleaner.

What you're talking about with the crankcase vent is referred to as "Crankcase evacuation".

Normally you don't want crankcase pressure building so any positive crankcase pressure is pulled into the intake tract and burninated. The mod in question ties the crankcase vent to the clean air system. So the reed valves STILL function, but instead of pulling in fresh air (and causing popping on decel) you're pulling in that ****** crankcase air (which doesn't go "pop"). This vacuum causes negative pressure in the crankcase which in turn causes the rings to expand (creating a better seal). So in turn you have a little more cylinder pressure and you make a bit more power.

It's probably hardly noticeable in this application, but if anything it's "free" horsepower, so why not. The only drawback with crankcase evacuation is faster cylinder wall and ring wear (not very extreme in this application), and in certain car engine applications can starve the valvetrain of oil."

...maybe i'll leave it
Jojah17 is offline   Reply With Quote