View Single Post
Old April 21st, 2011, 09:19 PM   #11
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob View Post
I dont think it goes away. I think the engine noise just muffles that noise out, the higher it revs. Ill try to get a video up tomorrow when my battery ships in...long story. Ill go through anything to get it running smooth. If its the clutch basket, will it cause damage, if left untreated?
I'm thinking you didn't read the information in the link referenced earlier in this thread.

What we're talking about here when we say it "gets quieter" is that's the way to diagnose whether it's your clutch that's making the noise. Here's how you tell it's the clutch basket rather than the cam chain.

While idling in the driveway, put the bike into first gear then slowly let the clutch lever out until it just begins to drag against the engine. In this "light load" (and low rev) situation the rattle of metal-to-metal contact between the clutch basket and the primary gear is muted (due to the clutch basket "dogs" being held gently against the engine drive gear instead of bouncing around randomly).

As to whether or not leaving the clutch basket situation unresolved hurts the engine long term, who knows? There will certainly be little jolts as the clutch dogs bang against the primary gear, and these jolts will be transmitted back through the engine. Are these jolts large enough to cause extra wear or impact damage in other areas of the engine?

Nobody seems to know. It could be that the rubber bumpers are just a "nice to have" item that deliver quieter engine operation. A smooth, nice sounding bike sells better than a mechanically loud, clanky sounding one.
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote