View Single Post
Old May 19th, 2011, 05:21 PM   #9
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
solid suggestions before. elfin forest and del dios are really smooth and good quality roads. lots of places to split off in del dios. elfin forest is kinda scary just from all the blind spots. highland valley is a great road. a little torn up, but if you know where to put the tires its a blast. but i'll let you guys in on my little secret. if you're looking for twisties in SD, the best around that i've been able to find (hardest, tightest and most technical with lots of decreasing radius turns and all kinds of scary surrounded by beautiful scenery, not to mention almost completely deserted even on weekends) is a road just south of palomar called mesa grande. definitely not for new riders, but if you're tired of all the squidwards on palomar holding you back or whatever, take a look. if you could compare it to anything it's most similiar to highland valley, but tighter turns and fewer straights. a few blind decreasing radius turns that will get you in trouble if you aren't careful. palomar is a great road, but it's always crowded on the weekends. not to mention the altitude sickness the poor carbed bikes gets once you get toward the top.
edit: technically its on reservation so i'm not sure what kind of tribal laws are different or you would have to deal with but I've never seen anyone there outside of some random person parked on the side, so i don't think its a big deal