Thread: Cornering
View Single Post
Old May 24th, 2011, 01:16 PM   #120
Jinx250
Smoker

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): Guess....

I don't get why everyone is preaching to roll on the throttle. I though the original premise is that the newb rider is going into a turn "too hot" from their perspective. I think we can all agree that the sentiment is that it's too hot for the rider's skill level, and not relative to the bike's performance envelope.

IMO The best answer is to use the throttle to modulate the speed, by rolling off ever so lsightly, while maintaining or increasing the lean angle. Most new riders (and some "veteran" riders) do not have a solid grasp on how much (how little) it takes to lock up a rear brake, so having them trail brake (and yes, I know that's not true trail braking) is probably not a good idea. In an Oh S**T moment, where you're going into a turn too hot, how is going *faster* going to make that situation any better? When I was a newb, I usually ended up standing the bike up to hit the brakes and running into the next lane, albeit briefly. Never once did accelerating seem like a better option than slowing down. I still feel the same way, except now, on the rare instance where I go in too hot, I have the experience to do more than just stand her up and hope for the best. And the choices still do not include more speed.

JMO, YMMV
Jinx250 is offline   Reply With Quote