View Single Post
Old May 31st, 2011, 08:59 AM   #38
Liber
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): EX250J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too40gawlf View Post
This whole thing is the equivalent in the gun world of ignoramimaking fun of you if you carry a 9mm vs. their .45ACP. People that say stupid **** like that display their ignorance about firearms. Even if they "been shooting fer years". Anyone that has any concept of real world ballistics knows that the real world difference between a 9mm and .45 ACP is nelgigible as a pistol round cannot be expected to stop a full grown human being. Yet, morons continue to tout the myth that "9mm aint but a mousegun." Dont even get me started on the lowlifes that debase the 5.56.

I once had an idiot at a gun store make fun of my Sig P226 9mm.I just looked at him with contempt and turned my back on him. I guess the German equivalent of the SAS, chooses to carry inferior pistols.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
yeah i agree with the whole "lets see who's faster" mentality... someone who knows how to ride a 250 well will smoke just about any other bike on tight enough twisties.

as to the gun post... nice analogy, and i completely agree. if you know how to aim it right, any size will do the trick. smaller bullets, smaller spread...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
I have found that bike owners are very similar to gun owners, for many of them the smaller they are the bigger the bike / gun not that it’s necessary it’s just to make up for being short in statue.

Steve
The similarities between motorcycle and gun ownership is pretty crazy. My brother and I were talking about this this past weekend. You picture yourself
with a particular motorcycle/gun and that is the first one you want to try, and you just know you will buy it because you will look "So Cool" with it.

When I announced to my best friends I was buying a 250 as my first bike, they all jumped down my throat about how dumb I was and how I was going to get so tired of it etc. None of them ride. I listened to my MSF instructor. People show up on 600s and litrebikes to his advanced course and he's having to re-teach them the basics while the 250 riders are playing around at the other end of the parking lot because they are just flat out better/more comfortable riders. His reasoning is that, in the long run, you become a much more confident rider if you start out on a bike that allows you to make mistakes and learn from them. I told my friends this, and they shut up. They are all now looking at buying a 250 for themselves.

I think the best things in life boil down to this: You should go with what fits YOU the best, even if you don't think it will at first, just try it. If it does fit you, you will eventually grow to appreciate it much more than anything someone else told you you should get.

Too bad we don't get demo/range days when looking for that right woman/man
Liber is offline   Reply With Quote