View Single Post
Old June 6th, 2011, 06:06 AM   #156
Lowspeed Lowside
Tightwad Tinker

Name: Hans

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

$792.15 left

Zenithink 10" Touchscreen Android 2.1 Tablet (ePad) $163.49 incl. S&H

Although, a tablet isn't really required (our PIC32 has sufficient capabilities), I nevertheless feel that it must be included for the setup to be usable. A device with 10" screen will not fit in the space where the gauges are located, but as delivery will take 3-5 weeks, I'll have lot of time to come up with a solution. The worst case scenario is that I'll save ~$60 by substituting a 7" tablet, as I was planning on getting a 10" tablet anyway, to replace an unused (bad battery) and unusable (Intel Atom) netbook.

Today's lagniappe:

Irony? It's like goldy and bronzey only it's made of iron.
- Baldrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer x View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by backinthesaddleagain View Post
Build the bottom end like a diesel, put rotors in from a wankel engine, add a rotary valve from an old 2 stroke kawi, and change the cylinder configuration to resemble a Guzzi, and fabricate an ECU from an old cell phone.
Can you do that?
People have succeeded in making all sorts of weird contraptions, such as bar-stools capable of going 90mph, but since backinthesaddleagain is too much of a coward to ever try, we'll never know whether he can or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer x View Post
Could you use two cell phones to cut costs?
He should consider using at least 1,000-5,000. After that, ordering stuff in bulk doesn't get much cheaper and the cost for financing and storage becomes prohibitive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by backinthesaddleagain View Post
Eric, I could probably do it in an uninterrupted (except for a 6" sandwich from subway) 8 hour day, for $1,900. However my father has all my tools right now as he is opening his pool, and the kids have extra bicycles in the garage.
I'd like to know what trick you think of using to do it in that time-frame with those tools. The only thing I can think of is the following:

Unit cost of manufacturing, e.g. a Kawasaki 250r, is considerably less than $1900, so if your father happens to own a production facility for motorcycles with the stated specifications, then your garage is probably large enough to fit to all stages of the pre- and final assembly modified for a single worker. Assuming two 10-minute breaks, a half hour lunchbreak and 5-minute stages, would mean that if you memorize 86 (admittedly rather complex) work-instructions, I wouldn't think it's impossible for you to accomplish the task in 8 hours.

Last futzed with by Lowspeed Lowside; June 6th, 2011 at 06:13 AM. Reason: Futile attempt to improve on my grammar, diction, spelling, etc.
Lowspeed Lowside is offline   Reply With Quote