View Single Post
Old June 6th, 2011, 02:50 PM   #161
Liber
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): EX250J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowspeed Lowside View Post
There is a very small minority here who has hands on experience with programming microcontrollers. Drilling holes into a flange, so that the holes match up and you can bolt them together is easy by comparison. If you have your brain in gear, you'll drill the holes first and then do the welding. I'm sure that some people here would call making every mistake "hands-on experience", just because they've learned not to do it anymore.

Also, someone can have years of experience with e.g. hands-on tuning of ignition timing software, but if the crystal used for the timer has a frequency of 32kHz, then at 12000rpm there are only about 30 different settings for the timing (60 with a hardware trick). This is equivalent to a 3% error, because sometimes the computer will initiate early, and sometimes late, depending on the clock skew. In addition there is variability in the spark itself, eventually we're going to be unlucky when the errors done't cancel, the engine will go boom.

Btw, see footnotes of first post.
I think you just enjoy reading your own comments, I've already told you this language means nothing to me.

I should clarify that I meant you seem to lack hands-on experience when it comes to assmbly of mechanical parts and electronics. There's nothing wrong with this, but it stresses my point that you are going to have to learn new skill sets from scratch, and that incurs costs on your free time, which you must have plenty of.

Quote:
Don't try to learn anything new because it's hard?
Now you're smarter than that. You know perfectly well what I mean. Jack of all trades, master of none, never earned anyone a fortune. Specialization in a few skills is what matters most. To spread yourself thin is to be inefficient.

Quote:
Not really, I simply like solving puzzles. Turbocharging a
250 has been done, so that's no challenge. So, let's see if we can do it for $1,000. This is much more fun than doing crossword-puzzles where you know that the solution will be published in tomorrow's paper.
Or you have nothing better to do with your day. What exactly are your economic circumstances, if you don't mind me asking?

Quote:
For a sufficiently rational individual it's not probable but certain. Remember, trying to figure out what to do with your time also involves a cost, we don't need perfect, as good enough will do. There are millions of possible mates to start a family with, but most married couples are happy with what they got (although a good way to stay married is to never tell your spouse that).
No, I agree, you don't need perfect because the market's equilibrium will never be what is perfect for every individual, but it's usually pretty close to perfect for the aggregate.

Btw, applying rationality to relationships is risky business and rarely works in a case by case basis, so I wouldn't recommend using it as an analogy for anything except insanity.
Liber is offline   Reply With Quote