View Single Post
Old June 6th, 2011, 08:57 PM   #162
Lowspeed Lowside
Tightwad Tinker

Name: Hans

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liber View Post
Now you're smarter than that. You know perfectly well what I mean. Jack of all trades, master of none, never earned anyone a fortune.
You mean Leonardo Da Vinci should have stuck to painting women in peculiar moods, because his helicopter with an Archimedes screw and a hand-crank looks like something that was designed by a preschooler? Maybe you're right: It lacks an anti-torque device...

I'm still going to try and I know that I have an edge over Leo, because I don't need to be a master of any trade. In fact, nobody actually needs to be good at something when good enough suffices.

Quote:
I should clarify that I meant you seem to lack hands-on experience when it comes to assmbly of mechanical parts and electronics. There's nothing wrong with this, but it stresses my point that you are going to have to learn new skill sets from scratch, and that incurs costs on your free time, which you must have plenty of.
Why do you think I bought a motorcycle, without knowing the first thing about how to ride it? I enjoy learning new skill sets from scratch. It's what I like to do in my free time.

Quote:
Or you have nothing better to do with your day. What exactly are your economic circumstances, if you don't mind me asking?
For all practical purposes you can assume that I'm poor. Most of my income is earmarked for more margin in a futures trading account.

Quote:
No, I agree, you don't need perfect because the market's equilibrium will never be what is perfect for every individual, but it's usually pretty close to perfect for the aggregate.
The concept of utility lacks a metric, so that your use of the term 'close' is not very meaningful. Maybe you meant something else?

Quote:
Btw, applying rationality to relationships is risky business and rarely works in a case by case basis, so I wouldn't recommend using it as an analogy for anything except insanity.
After 2 billion years of evolutionary optimization, I think we can form the hypothesis that relationships are not just a ridiculous folly of absurd pointlessness in ludicrous craziness.
Lowspeed Lowside is offline   Reply With Quote