View Single Post
Old June 7th, 2011, 04:23 PM   #30
Live2ride
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): 06 yzf r6r previously: 09 ninja 250r, black 07 zx6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
I don't know what it is about this mod, but people drastically overstate the positive effects of the changes. Perhaps it happens with other mods as well, but this one is ubiquitous.

If 1st gear topped out at 33-34 mph with the stock 14 tooth, then on the same bike 1st gear would top out at 35.3 - 36.4 mph afterwards. Or if it's actually topping out at 40 mph with the new 15 tooth sprocket, then before with the 14 tooth it was actually topping out at 37.3 mph before.

It's just math.

(none of this means that I'm disagreeing with you in the least about you enjoying the slightly taller ratio. If you like it, that's all that matters.)
Well, according to my speedo, I'm correct . Actual speed differs and that's probably why there is a difference. I've done tons of top speed gear runs for 1st and 2nd with the stock gearing and I'm simply stating my results, before it was just under 35, now it's almost right on 40 indicated. I know according to the ninjette speed calculator it shouldn't make that much of a difference . Either way,right or wrong, I like it .

Anyway, I went for another ride and found out that in hot weather the rpm are higher, more like 1,000 above my speed. I'm not trying to overstate this mod, it simply works very well for me. I can now shift less while accelerating. I use to shift up to 3rd while going through parking lots but now I can run them in 2nd comfortably. I'm hoping that this also increases gas mileage a little because of others showing the same result (Alex, I know that you've said it shouldn't effect gas mileage much, if at all, because you need more throttle at any given speed). I'll post my mpg after I run through this tank (just filled up); I've been averaging 49-50mpg with the stock gearing.

I'm very happy with this mod because I wasn't expecting as many benefits as I received. I can't stress enough that this is what I wanted from my bike and not necessarily what others may want; although I would certainly recommend that others try this mod.