View Single Post
Old March 10th, 2009, 03:06 PM   #8
jeffwessel
ninjette.org member

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 08 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
I would have the bike gone over at a reputable shop to find hidden damage before you sign anything regarding a settlement. Once you sign that check, you are SOL if they find further damage. The guy's job looking at the bike is to get you to settle for the lowest amount to get the insurance company off the hook by having you sign away their responsibility for the crash repair.

if they are footing the bill, make sure every part that has been damaged is replaced with OEM Kawasaki parts or the same aftermarket parts that was there at the time of the crash.

You may have a totaled (cost wise) bike on your hands after a thorough inspection is done. Don't cut corners, especially if you intend to put it back on the road.

I totally agree with Richard... go OEM parts only. Don't try to make money on this payoff, concentrate on getting your bike to 100% the condition it was prior to the accident.

GL... dealing w/ insurance companies can be a headache, but don't give in if you think you have a legitimate stand.
Thanks for the tips. When I talked to the insurance company today the lady said that they would be sending out a guy to look over the bike. He was then going to give me an estimate on what he thought it would cost to replace, and the check would be in my name. I would then take the bike to a shop of my choice and bring the estimate and the shop would look it over. If the shop thought it would cost more, I would let the insurance company know, and they would write another check for the difference in the shops name. So we'll see how it works out.
jeffwessel is offline   Reply With Quote