View Single Post
Old July 7th, 2011, 12:26 PM   #24
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

I guess it depends on what you want out of it. I use my ZX to commute nine miles and it isn't a problem. Granted, it's only nine miles, but I have ridden the bike on plenty of long, boring straight rides and the comfort factor isn't a problem (again, so long as your core is in good condition).

I find the boredom factor to be my biggest issue. The problem with a supersport is that you are always in "attack mode". The riding position is meant to be suited for triple-digit speeds, hard braking, and fast, aggressive cornering. So it is very underwhelming riding on a straight slab at 60ish mph on one.

As far as maintenance, I doubt it actually costs that much more to use a supersport for commuting and weekend duty. My 600 barely holds more oil than the 250, and I would change either at the same interval. The valve job on the 600, though more costly, is done half as much, so that's a wash. Tires, well, if you are using the bike for commuting as well as weekend fun, tires won't be that much more on the bigger bike, and even then only the rear is a noticeable difference in cost.

Taking the 600 to the track would cost more than taking a 250 to the track, but when you start talking about that, it's a moot point. In this situation, run whichever you prefer if you can afford it, and if money is an issue, then you get a 250 track bike.

Insurance is likely to be the largest cost difference between a 250 and a 600. I have only briefly checked insurance for the literbikes, but it wasn't much more than the 600s. Either way, the insurance costs are easily doubled for most people.